Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Broccoli-Cheese and Chicken Soup


If you have been following this blog for any length of time, you know that I have a tough time passing up a good deal.  Well, my favorite grocery store had fresh broccoli and shredded cheddar cheese on sale this week, so of course I had to buy both!!! Along with our meal Tuesday night, we had broccoli and there was exactly two cups left over. This afternoon, I thought about that broccoli and cheese and decided to make it into soup!  Many broccoli and cheese soup recipes out there require you to make your own cream sauce.  To me, that's a little too much work and a lot too rich and heavy (especially for lunch).  My soup was ready in about 20 minutes and I was able to use ingredients I had on hand in my pantry.  It was so tasty, I had two bowls for lunch on Wednesday. Hmm, do you think I'll be having this for lunch the rest of the week?? You bet!  I added canned chicken to this soup (because I happened to have some in my pantry), but if you wanted to go vegetarian, you could certainly skip it.

Ingredients:


2 cups broccoli
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons margarine
1 cup onion, chopped
4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
12.5 ounce can white premium chunk chicken breast, drained

In blender, put the broccoli and milk. Puree until broccoli is in very small pieces.  Set aside.  In large stockpot, melt margarine slowly, then add the onion and saute until the onion becomes soft. Remove from heat and add the broccoli and milk mixture to the stockpot.  Next, add the water, pepper, salt and cheddar cheese. Stir with large spoon until well combined.  In small bowl, shred the chicken breast with a fork and then add to the soup.  Bring just to a boil and then cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Makes eight one-cup servings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...