Saturday, January 25, 2014

Cuban Sweet Potato and Black Bean Soup




I was the world's pickiest eater when I was little.  We would go to the same Chinese restaurant when I was growing up and would order a hamburger!! Little did I know, that type of food would become my favorite as an adult :)  So glad I finally started trying different types of foods as I've gotten older. When I was at the store a week or so ago, I saw the biggest sweet potato I've ever seen!  I bought it thinking I would probably only need half.  I was right!  Half of it yielded two cups!  I'm planning on using the other half to "test" out a new recipe for sweet potato biscuits.  After doing a little bit of research about Cuban cuisine, I found that cumin, peppers, black beans, garlic, sweet potatoes and oregano is found in a lot of the recipes.  I incorporated all of those yummy Cuban flavors into this soup.  When I made this for dinner, the hubby had at least two bowls (maybe three) - I lost track! I always love when a regular "customer" enjoys his meal so much :)

Ingredients

1 cup onion, chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups uncooked sweet potato, peeled and cubed
15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
10-ounce can Original Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes
  and Green Chilies, undrained
1 cup green peppers, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
8 cups water
2 cups cooked white rice, any brand

In small saucepan, make the white rice and set aside.  In large stockpot, melt the butter slowly and then add the onion.  Saute until the onion is just starting to get tender.  Add the rest of the ingredients in the order given except the white rice.  Stir well, bring to a boil and then turn to a simmer and cover for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the white rice, stir well and then cook 5-10 more minutes. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...