Sunday, March 16, 2014

Baking Powder Drop Biscuits



At the last minute for dinner tonight, I decided I wanted to make homemade biscuits.  Since the rest of the meal was almost done, I didn't have time to knead, roll out dough and use the biscuit cutter. My family was hungry!  Did I open up a can of biscuits? Nope, I didn't have any in the fridge (I usually do have at least one can in reserve).  Since I didn't want to skip making homemade biscuits, I was racking my brain about what to do.  Earlier last week, I found the most amazing recipe for baking powder biscuits in a cookbook from 1927 - it had 10 variations! One of the variations was for drop biscuits which I knew I could make quickly and serve with our dinner. This past Wednesday, I made another variation of the baking powder biscuits that used peanut butter. Those biscuits were okay, but could use a little "tweaking" before they make it to this blog!!  When I was serving up the dinner (marinated boneless pork chops, fresh broccoli and baked potatoes),  my husband looked at the baking powder drop biscuits and said "they look different."  He is so used to seeing a perfectly round biscuit (either canned or homemade), he wasn't quite sure what to make of the "drop" biscuits.  After dinner, I asked him to rate them. He told me they were a 10 out of 10!  Cool, I'm glad he liked my "different" biscuits :)



Ingredients

2 cups white flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons shortening
1 1/4 cups milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. In medium bowl, put the flour, baking powder and salt.  Using two knives, "cut" in the shortening until it is well incorporated.  Pour the milk in and mix well with large spoon. The batter will be a bit sticky, but that's fine. Drop by large tablespoonfuls (12 biscuits in all) onto the cookie sheet and bake for 15-18 minutes or until the biscuits are starting to turn lightly brown.  Remove immediately to wire rack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...