Monday, March 31, 2014

Make It Your Own Trail Mix



Have you ever heard of GORP? It's actually another name for trail mix.  The four letters supposedly stand for "good old raisins and peanuts." When I think of trail mix, I automatically think of hikers. It's a snack you take with you to keep your energy up while walking for long periods of time. A handful of  potato chips might taste good at the moment, but it probably wouldn't fill you up as well as a combination of dried fruits, nuts or seeds :)  If you look around in your pantry, you might have the "makings" of a trail mix already. Out of the six ingredients I put in my version, I had four "on hand." This is a very portable snack, just scoop a 1/2 cup or so into a small container with a lid or into a zippered sandwich bag and you are ready to roll!! I guess I could call my concoction, BCRAPP (to stand for butterscotch, Cheerios, raisins, almonds, pineapple and pretzels), but that really doesn't sound too appetizing, does it?!?!  I think for now I'll stick with MIYOTM (make it your own trail mix)!!

Ingredients

1 cup butterscotch chips
2 cups Cheerios
1 cup yogurt covered raisins
1 cup almonds, lightly salted
1 cup dried pineapple, sweetened
2 cups small pretzels

In large bowl, put all the ingredients in the order given and mix well with large spoon. Makes 16 half-cup servings. Store covered in a dry, cool place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...