Friday, April 25, 2014

Butterscotch and Banana Muffins



Back at the end of March, I made some trail mix with butterscotch chips. Every time I opened up my cabinet where I keep my baking chips, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, etc. I kept seeing that half empty bag. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out a way to use up the rest of the bag of chips.  Well, yesterday morning, I looked over on the kitchen counter and the bananas that were ripe earlier in the week were now prime candidates for banana muffins! Hmm, the light bulb went off and I thought how about bananas and butterscotch chips mixed together??  I have given up chocolate for the time being, so I am looking for other baking chips that aren't chocolate.  I love cinnamon chips, but neither of the two grocery stores I shop at have them in stock now. The dude at Kroger last week told me it was a "seasonal" item. Okay then, around the holidays, I'm stocking up on cinnamon chips!!! I put a picture of my muffins on my Facebook page yesterday evening and asked my "buddies" to guess the three main ingredients. A few guessed bananas, but they weren't able to guess the other two main ingredients - sour cream and butterscotch chips.  I get a kick out of doing my "mystery" ingredient game.  If you have to bake anyways, why not make it fun?!?!?!?!  These muffins are DELICIOUS heated up in the microwave for about 30 seconds.  I had two for breakfast this morning with my coffee as I was writing this blog post :)

Ingredients

1/3 cup margarine, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup light sour cream
1 cup mashed bananas, about 2 large
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/4 cups white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In large bowl, put the margarine, sugar, eggs, sour cream, bananas and vanilla. Beat by hand with large spoon or with electric mixer until well blended.  Add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.  Add the butterscotch chips and mix in gently with large spoon. Distribute batter evenly between 18 muffin tins that have been lined with paper liners.  Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the muffins comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...