Saturday, April 12, 2014

Orange Scones



My grandmother who lived to be 101 years old once told me, "Cathy, you can use all the parts of a pig but the squeal!" It took me a minute to realize what she meant and then the light bulb went on :) She was telling me that there was more than one use for a pig.  As I was squeezing the juice out of an orange to make these scones, I was wondering what other use the orange could have. Of course!! I can use the skin, also known as "zest." Since I wasn't 100% sure what the word "zest" meant, I looked it up. According to Wikipedia, it is, "a food ingredient that is prepared by scraping or cutting from the outer, colorful skin of unwaxed citrus fruits such as lemon, orange, citron and lime." I don't know that I've ever put "zest" in anything I've ever baked, so this was a first. When I was taking these scones off the baking sheet and transferring them to a wire rack, Dominic took one look and said, "cookie." I told him they were scones and asked him if he wanted one.  He is always willing to try my baked goods and will give me his honest opinion.  He proclaimed these to be "good!"  Cool, I thought they were pretty good too!
 

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups white flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons shortening
1/8 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
3/4 cup milk

Topping:

1/4 teaspoon white sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.  In medium bowl, put the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Using two knives, "cut" in the shortening. Make a small "well" in the middle and add the orange juice, zest and milk.  Mix well with large spoon. On a lightly floured surface, press the dough out to a round circle about eight inches in diameter.  With a knife, slice into eight equal triangles.  Sprinkle the 1/4 teaspoon of white sugar evenly over all eight scones. Place on the baking sheet and put in the oven for about 18-20 minutes or until they are turning brown on the bottom.  Remove immediately to a wire rack to cool.  Makes eight scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...