Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Watermelon Salad

I love this time of year when there is an abundance of summer fruits and veggies!  For July the 4th this year, I carved up a watermelon, cubed some and added some strawberries and blueberries. It was kind of cool, because once I scooped out all the watermelon, it became its own bowl.  Pretty neat if you take it to a picnic - you don't have to worry about tracking down a bowl, rinsing it out and then taking it back home!!

 
We ate up most of the fruit that day - it was yummy! I still have a good amount of watermelon left, so today,  I looked around to see what other veggies I had kicking around in the fridge and found some cucumbers, radishes and green peppers.  All the "fixins" for a salad! 

 


I had some of this around lunchtime, but Lauren wasn't interested in "sampling" some. Once I put it in the blender and added about 1/3 cup of chopped onions and a few dashes of my favorite Frank's RedHot Sweet Chili Sauce and called it a watermelon salsa, she took some on a tortilla chip and said, "it's pretty good, I didn't think I would like it, but I did!" Cool :)


Ingredients

3 cups seedless watermelon, diced
1 cup green pepper, membrane and seeds removed, chopped
1 cup cucumber, seeds removed, chopped
1 cup radishes, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In large bowl,  put the watermelon, green pepper, cucumber, radishes and cilantro. Mix well with large spoon and set aside. In small bowl, put the lemon juice, canola oil, sugar, salt and pepper. Combine well and pour over the ingredients in the large bowl.   Mix well with large spoon and cover with a piece of plastic wrap for one hour. When ready to serve, stir a few times with a large spoon and then drain any water out that has settled to the bottom. Given that a watermelon contains about 92% water, I guarantee there will be at least a little in the bottom of the bowl!  Makes 4-6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...