Sunday, October 12, 2014

Chocolate Brownies

Even though he doesn't talk about it very often, I know that my husband (being an only child), misses both of his parents.



I can't even imagine what that must be like for him, because I still have both of my parents and my two younger siblings. I was fortunate to have known both his mom and dad and though I was very close to his dad, I became very, very close to his mom during the final six months of her life. When I am missing my mother-in-law, I like to go through her big stack of newspaper clippings we found while cleaning out their house and see if I can find a recipe where I have all of the ingredients "on hand." When I found a chocolate brownie recipe, I knew that was one to try! When the hubby had one of these the other day and I told him where I found the recipe, he said, "I remember my mom making these!" Cool, I love when that happens :) The original recipe had 3/4 cup of chopped nuts, but I choose to use 1/4 cup of milk chocolate chips, 1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1/4 cup of peanut butter chips instead.




Ingredients

1/2 cup margarine, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 squares (2 ounces) semi-sweet
  baking chocolate bar, melted
2 large eggs, beaten
3/4 cup white flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup peanut butter chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 x 9 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. In large bowl, put the margarine and white sugar and cream together with a large spoon. In small bowl, melt two squares of the baking chocolate bar in the microwave. Pour the melted chocolate in with the margarine and white sugar and then add the eggs. Mix well and then add the flour, baking powder and salt. Combine well and then mix in the milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips and the peanut butter chips. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the brownies comes out clean. Remove to wire rack to cool. Serve with a little powdered sugar on top, leave plain, add your favorite frosting or serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...