Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Dutch Apple Pie


Not too much intimidates me, but for some reason, making a pie does. I guess, because I think they are really hard to make and I would rather stay in my "comfort zone" of making muffins :)  I normally don't have a frozen pie crust in the freezer or sour cream in my fridge, but since I did and this recipe that I found in my mother-in-law's "collection," had those two ingredients, I knew it was meant to be to make this apple pie!!  This recipe is actually pretty simple and quick to put together. You'll spend the most time peeling, coring and slicing the apples. I started out trying to layer the apple slices in a real pretty design, but then decided to just pile them up!  I was a little concerned, because I put 3 1/2 cups in and I thought the juice that was bubbling up around the apples might spill over and drip onto the bottom of the oven. I baked the pie on a cookie sheet to catch any "drippings."  It was interesting to watch this pie kind of "deflate" as it was cooling. I felt like I was watching a science experiment. When I cut the hubby a slice to "sample," he said, "this would taste good with vanilla ice cream!" I fished around in my purse, found a gift card to the Cold Stone Creamery and asked the hubby to go down the street and get us some ice cream. Yep, this pie is really good warm with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream. Great idea my hubby had, don't you think?!?!?!?!  The other night, I was telling my mom that I had made an apple pie. She gave me a good bit of advice. She said, "don't ever use Red Delicious apples in an apple pie, I learned the hard way!"  Okay, mom.  I ended up using Gala apples :)

Ingredients

9-inch frozen pie crust
3 tablespoons white flour
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup sour cream
3 1/2 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced
  (about 5 medium)

Topping:

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pull pie crust out of the freezer and set aside. In large bowl, put flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and sour cream. Mix together with large spoon. Set aside. Peel, core and slice the apples.  Pour apples into the pie crust and then cover with the ingredients in the large bowl. In small bowl, put the cinnamon and white sugar. Combine together with a small spoon and then sprinkle evenly on top of the pie. Put pie on a cookie sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes and then turn the temperature down to 350 degrees for another 45 minutes or until the apples are bubbly and the top of the pie is turning a golden brown. Remove to wire rack until cool enough to eat.  Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired. Store covered with a piece of plastic wrap or foil on top in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...