Monday, October 27, 2014

Halloween "Dirt" Cake


When thinking of different ways to decorate this "dirt"cake, I challenged myself to see if I could actually make a cake without using any sprinkles!  It was tough, but I managed :) I have seen many, many recipes for this type of cake on the Internet, but about 90% of them used chocolate pudding and whipped topping. I decided to go in a different direction and make a devil's food cake in keeping with the Halloween "theme" and then spread orange frosting on the top.  The "dirt" is crushed Oreos.  I used a few Pepperidge Farm Milano cookies as the "grave" markers and some candy corn, marshmallow pumpkins and some gummy worms.  When I showed the hubby my finished "creation" he said, "wow!" Yesterday, when I was cutting the three of each a piece, I plucked one of the pumpkins out of the "patch" and popped it into my mouth. Dominic's eyes got as wide as saucers. I think he thought I was eating a real pumpkin!!! Poor guy, I reassured him it was candy!!!

Directions:

Prepare one box of  devil's food cake mix per the package instructions for a 9 x 13 inch cake - I used a 16.5 ounce box of Duncan Hines Devil's Food cake mix.  Let cake cool completely. Frost with your favorite frosting. I used a 15.6 ounce can of Funfetti Halloween frosting by Pillsbury. In a zippered gallon sized bag, put a dozen chocolate sandwich cookies, like Oreos, close it up and crush into small pieces. I used a meat mallet, since I don't own a food processor.  Press the different decorations gently into the frosting. I had a bag of Brach's Autumn Mix, which included two different kinds of candy corn and a handful of the marshmallow pumpkins. I also had a bag of Brach's Gummi Worms, so I put a half dozen of those on too!!  I melted some orange Wilton's Candy Melts to write the messages on the "graves." Decorator icing in a tube would work too.  Sprinkle the crushed cookie "dirt" around the decorations.  Serves 16. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...