Saturday, October 25, 2014

Turkey Veggie Chili



Growing up, I was a picky, picky eater.  Eating chili in any way, shape or form was definitely not on my "radar" screen at all.  Never in a million years could I have ever imagined that chili would become one of my favorite foods! I have made vegetarian chili, chili with ground meat, chili with ground turkey and chili with chuck roast. The hubby has been stocking up lately on those one-pound frozen "chubs" of ground turkey when it's been on sale.  I think we had at least six in our freezer at one point a few months ago! Yikes. Earlier this week, as I did an "inventory" of what veggies we had a lot of in the fridge, I spotted a pack of carrots. When the hubby asked what was for dinner that night, I told him turkey chili.  When we sat down at the table and he looked at his bowl, he said rather tentatively, "I've never seen carrots in turkey chili before." Since there weren't any leftovers, he kind of HAD to eat the chili for dinner. Guess what? He ended up going back for seconds! The next morning, he made a point of telling me that my chili was really good. Cool, guess that means he liked the "addition" of the carrots!

Ingredients

1 pound ground turkey
2 cups carrots, peeled and diced
1 cup water
12 ounce bag 3-pepper and onion blend,
  frozen
15.5 ounce can light red kidney beans,
  rinsed and drained
14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes in tomato sauce,
  undrained
15 ounce can tomato sauce
1.25 ounce package chili seasoning mix, any brand

In large stockpot, slowly brown the ground turkey. Drain the grease off and then add the rest of the ingredients. Stir well with large spoon, cover and then turn down to simmer. Cook for another one hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Put on a "bed" of rice or elbow noodles. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, if desired. Makes 4-6 servings.  Note:  if you are on a low-salt diet like I am because of my heart "issues," try the chili seasoning mix from Mrs. Dash - it has zero sodium!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...