Thursday, November 20, 2014

Banana Oatmeal Cookies


Once again, we have too many bananas around here. Since Dominic and I just made cinnamon muffins yesterday, I went searching for a different way to use the bananas, other than making banana bread or muffins. I fished out my banana cookbook that an office mate from a LONG time ago gave me and started looking through it. Hmm, there are 56 banana recipes in the cookbook, such as banana scallops, banana cabbage salad, banana chicken salad, banana grape marlow, and banana caramel ice cream.  All those sound, ahem, interesting, but when I found a recipe for banana oatmeal cookies,  I knew I was on to something.  A bit of banana "trivia" - what is a group of bananas called? A hand! A single banana is a "finger." Today, both the hubby and Dominic each ate a "finger." The hubby had one in his lunch I made him and Dominic ate a "finger" with his cinnamon muffin for breakfast. LOL.  I was more than a bit concerned about how mashed bananas would turn out in a cookie - I had visions of the cookies spreading out across the cookie sheet as it baked and dripping onto the bottom of my oven!! Luckily, that didn't happen.  I made these around 11 this morning and had a few for a snack with the rest of my coffee before I went outside to shovel the snow!!



Ingredients

1 1/2 cups white flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 cup ripe bananas, mashed
  (about two large)
1 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In large bowl, put the flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, shortening, sugar and egg. Mix well with large spoon. In small bowl, mash the banana with a fork and then add to the ingredients in the large bowl. Add the oats, walnuts and chocolate chips and mix thoroughly by hand.  Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for about 18 minutes or until the cookies turn dark brown. Remove from oven and let cool on the cookie sheet about 2-3 minutes. Remove to wire rack to continue cooling. Makes 28 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...