Friday, November 7, 2014

Confederate Coffee Cake


I am always on the lookout for different and unique quick breads. In my vast collection of over 100 cookbooks, I found a recipe for "Confederate Coffee Cake." I am not quite the history "buff" that Lauren and my hubby are, but anything to do with the Civil War, I find fascinating.  Growing up in Maryland, I have visited the Antietam National Battlefield and crossed over the Mason-Dixon Line many a time. Want to hear an interesting bit of history? On April 2, 1863, in Richmond, Virginia, a very large and angry mob of mostly women started protesting the high prices and shortages of food. It was called, "The Richmond Bread Riots." Evidently, it was the South's largest civil disturbance of the Civil War. A good thing that came out of the "Riots," was that within the week, the City Council approved a plan for a "relief program." As much as I love to bake and take care of my family, I can just picture myself if I lived in Richmond back then. I would have been at the front of those "Riots" leading the way!

Ingredients

1/2 cup margarine, melted
1 cup white sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups white flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Topping

1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons margarine, cold
  (cut into small cubes)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. In large bowl, cream the margarine and white sugar together. Then, add the eggs, flour, baking powder, milk and cinnamon. Mix well with large spoon or with electric mixer until smooth. Pour into prepared loaf pan and set aside. In small bowl, put the topping ingredients. Mix well with small spoon and then sprinkle evenly over the top of the coffee cake batter. Bake for one hour and then test to see if it is done by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the loaf. If it comes out clean, it's done, if not keeping adding time in five minute intervals. When coffee cake is baked through, remove to wire rack and let cool for at least one hour before trying to remove it from the pan. Place on wire rack to continue cooling. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...