Friday, December 12, 2014

Monkey Bread


Given how much I love cinnamon and sugar, I can't believe I have never made "monkey bread" before! There are bunches of recipes out there that involve making your own dough from scratch and using yeast, but given the hubby bought three cans of Pillsbury Grands!  biscuits earlier in the week and we already had a can in the fridge, I figured I might as well use up a few of the cans we had.  If you can believe it, all four of the cans of biscuits were a different "style!" Good grief. I adapted a recipe I found on the Pillsbury website. There are dozens  of variations of "monkey bread" on their website, but I went with the one that had 809 people rate it! I figured it must be the best one. It takes no time at all to whip this up and the baking time is only a half hour. So, you could have this on your table for breakfast or brunch in about an hour :) An added benefit, when this is baking it will make your house smell AMAZING! My "cinnamon" boy, Dominic, was hesitant to try this when I told him it was "monkey bread." Once I explained to him that it was cinnamon rolls with "frosting," he gobbled it right down!!!! We moms always have a few "tricks" up our sleeves. Now, if I could just get him to try brussels sprouts, my favorite veggie! LOL.

Ingredients

1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 can (16.3 ounces) Pillsbury Grands! Homestyle
  Buttermilk biscuits, refrigerated
1 can (16.3 ounces) Pillsbury Grands! Homestyle
  Southern Style Buttermilk biscuits, refrigerated
1 cup light brown sugar,
  firmly packed
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 12-cup fluted tube pan (also known as a "bundt" pan) with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. In gallon sized Ziploc-type bag, put the white sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Open each can of biscuits (you should have 16 total). With a knife or a pair of kitchen shears, slice or cut each biscuit into four pieces for a total of 64 pieces. Put all the pieces into the Ziploc-type bag, close it up and shake until all of the pieces are covered with the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg mixture.  Arrange evenly in the prepared fluted tube pan.  In small bowl, put the brown sugar and the melted butter. Mix until smooth with small spoon and then pour over the biscuit pieces. Bake for 30 minutes or until the monkey bread is starting to brown. Let cool at least 10 minutes on wire rack and then turn pan upside down onto a serving plate. Serves 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...