Sunday, December 21, 2014

Sour Cream Biscotti


I love biscotti because of its versatility. You can have a few for breakfast or after dinner for dessert. It is also quite expensive to purchase at the store. The hubby and I were having a discussion this morning as I was getting ready to make some monkey bread out of biscuits. I was explaining to him that if I had to go to the store and buy that type of bread, it would be a lot more expensive than what I could make it for!  A popular brand, Nonni's, makes biscotti. It costs over $3.00 for eight. If I priced out the ingredients, I can say with almost 100% certainty that I can make a lot more than eight for $3.00!  I can't wait for Santa to come to our house Christmas Eve and "sample" some of the biscotti!! Hopefully, he will give it a 10 out of 10!  Maybe I'll make a few more for his reindeer :)



Ingredients

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together with a large spoon until smooth. Add the eggs, sour cream and vanilla extract until well combined. Add the flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix well again. On a lightly floured board (about one tablespoon of flour), divide the dough in half and then shape each half into a loaf that is 12 inches long and 5 inches across. Place one half on each of the cookie sheets and bake for 25 minutes or until starting to turn golden brown. Remove from the oven and let them sit on the cookie sheets for 15 minutes. Using a serrated knife, cut each loaf into 12 equal slices and place cut side down. Bake for another 10 minutes and then turn each slice over and bake for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and then place on wire rack to continue cooling. Makes 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...