Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Golden Rich Cake

Every so often, I like to look through the magazine and newspaper clippings that belonged to my mother-in-law. Have you ever heard of the magazine, Woman's Home Companion? It was a monthly publication that was published from 1873-1957.  It ceased publication six years before I was even born! Anyways, when I "found" this recipe from February 1955 AND I had all the ingredients on hand, I knew I had to give this one a try. I think it's pretty neat that this cake recipe is almost 60 years old! When two of my favorite "taste testers" got a "sample," they gave the cake rave reviews. Lauren had a piece before she went back to college this past Sunday and told me, "this cake melts in my mouth!" Last night, Dominic remarked, "the cake is yummy!" Cool.  Do you have a bunch of leftover candy canes from the holidays? Instead of throwing them away or tucking them into the pantry (where they may get forgotten), crush them up and sprinkle on top of the cake! With a certain "holiday" coming up on February 14, how about making this cake for your "sweetie?" Did you ever notice that red and white are also the colors for Valentine's Day?!?!?!


Ingredients

2 cups white flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup margarine, melted
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. In large bowl, put all the ingredients in the order given and mix well by hand or with electric mixer for two minutes. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Frost with your favorite icing and sprinkle with crushed candy canes, if desired! Makes 20 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...