Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Sour Cream Pancakes




I have probably made enough homemade waffles in my lifetime to circle the Earth twice. Pancakes on the other hand, don't make it on to the "menu" very often. Well, that may change. These sour cream pancakes are so light and fluffy, they are sure to be a hit with your family! I like BIG pancakes like the ones above, but feel free to make smaller ones if you want. This recipe made 13 five-inch pancakes, which is a "baker's dozen." Have you ever wondered what the term, "baker's dozen" means?  According to Dictionary.com, the definition goes back several hundred years ago to when a baker would give "13 items to the dozen as a safeguard against penalties for short weights and measures." You would think that considering I have been baking for almost 50 years, (I probably helped make my own cake for my second birthday),


and I am a great granddaughter of a baker, that I would know the definition of a "baker's dozen." Well, it's always good to learn something new! Isn't it?!?!?!?

Ingredients

2 cups white flour
3 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 cup sour cream
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In large bowl, put the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well with large spoon. Set aside.  In medium bowl, put the milk, sour cream, eggs, butter and vanilla extract. Combine well and then add to the ingredients in the large bowl. Mix well (it's okay if there are a few small lumps). Spray pancake griddle with non-stick spray and preheat. Pour enough batter onto the griddle to make a 5-inch pancake. Flip over when small bubbles appear and the bottom side is brown. Makes 13 pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...