Saturday, March 28, 2015

Rhubarb and Walnut Bread

 
Since I think baking should be fun, from time to time, I like to post pictures of my "bakery" on Facebook and see if any of my "peeps" can figure out what the mystery ingredient(s) might be. Well, today, nobody guessed that this bread had diced rhubarb!! I FINALLY stumped them all! I have to admit, it was a pretty tough one to guess.  The poor hubby. I had been promising him since last summer, when I put some diced rhubarb in the freezer, that I would make him rhubarb "buckle." Yesterday, I told him that it would be bread instead. Since I was making this recipe up as I was going along, I wasn't quite sure what the end result would be. When I offered a piece of the bread to the hubby this afternoon, he told me it was a 10 out of 10! He is always willing to be my taste tester and he (almost) always rates my baked goods a 10 - that's one of the reasons why I married him!



Ingredients

2 cups white flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup orange juice
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon sour cream
2/3 cup rhubarb, chopped
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Cream Cheese Frosting

2 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 1 1/2 quart loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.  In a large bowl, put the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, orange juice, canola oil, egg, vanilla extract and sour cream.  Mix well with large spoon and then "fold" in the rhubarb and walnuts gently. Mix to combine. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert pan and remove the bread to wire rack to continue to cool. If desired, you can make the cream cheese frosting above and sprinkle a handful of chopped walnuts on top! Store covered in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...