Saturday, April 11, 2015

Apple and Sour Cream Coffeecake


Where we live, there are always many different kinds of apples available at the grocery store.  My favorite used to be Red Delicious, but now it's definitely Honeycrisp! Yummy. Anyways, earlier this week I bought a bag of McIntosh apples. They are super cut up and eaten raw, but I wanted to try and "branch" out (get it, like an apple tree) and see if I could integrate a few into a coffeecake. After a quick search into the fridge, I found a container of sour cream I had bought a week or so ago (because it was on sale)! Yes, sometimes I buy items that are on sale and THEN figure out what I'm going to do with it. It's usually better the other way around, but I like to live dangerously. LOL. I love the way apples baking in the oven just makes your ENTIRE house smell so good. Dominic "sampled" a piece yesterday and proclaimed it to be "great." I have to agree :)
 


Ingredients

1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 cups white flour
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup apple, peeled, cored, and shredded
  (about two medium)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup fluted tube pan (Bundt pan) with non-stick spray and set aside. In large bowl, put the sugar, flour, butter, eggs, sour cream, vanilla, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Mix well with large spoon. In small bowl, core and then shred the apples until you have 2/3 of a cup. Put into the large bowl and combine thoroughly. Pour into the Bundt pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until the coffeecake is starting to turn brown and a toothpick inserted into the coffeecake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let it stay in the pan on a wire rack until cool. Carefully remove the cake from the pan and enjoy! You can leave as is or sprinkle with powdered sugar like I did. Makes 10-12 servings. Cover loosely with foil at store room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...