Monday, April 13, 2015

Pork Fajitas

When you go to the grocery store and see all those packets of seasonings, like for tacos, chili, etc. it can be a tad overwhelming to know which one to get isn't it? Well, how about if you could make your own seasoning "blend?" I challenged myself to see if I could mix a bunch of spices together and "reproduce" the same flavors that would be in a fajita seasoning packet!  I had planned on making chicken fajitas, but then remembered the hubby had recently bought a four pound boneless pork loin. I sliced it in half and put half in the freezer and took the remaining half and sliced it into thin pieces. I then set to work making my own "blend." Cornstarch is a great thickener, so that was the main ingredient. I didn't want the fajitas to be runny! I grabbed a handful of spices, put them in a container, slapped the top on and shook it. What was really cool about making my own "blend" is that I could put EXACTLY what I wanted into it. Just for kicks, I looked at what the first ingredient was on the package of a fajita seasoning mix I have in my pantry. It was "maltodextrin." Yikes. What in the world is that?


Fajita Seasoning Blend Ingredients:

1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Remaining Ingredients:

2 pounds boneless pork, cut into thin pieces
2 tablespoons canola oil
12 ounce package three pepper and onion blend,
  frozen
1/2 cup water
10 8-inch flour tortillas

In a small bowl, put the ingredients for the fajita seasoning blend. Mix well with small spoon and set aside. In large frying pan or skillet, put the two tablespoons of canola oil. Turn the heat on to low and put the pork in. Raise the temperature to medium to high and cook until the pieces of pork are no longer pink inside. Drain off any grease and then add the pepper and onion blend, the fajita seasoning blend and the 1/2 cup of water. Mix together and stir constantly until the peppers are just starting to get soft. If the sauce is not thick enough, add a touch more water. Conversely, if the sauce is too thin, add a touch more cornstarch. Warm up the tortillas and then put a tablespoon or so of the pork mixture into one, roll it up and enjoy! The hubby added shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream to his fajita. I just added a dab of sour cream to mine. Making the fajitas was a great way to use up just the little bit of sour cream I had left over from the apple and sour cream coffeecake I made a few days ago! Feel free to add shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes or whatever you would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...