Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Blueberry and Sour Cream Scones


Last night, as our dinner of chuck roast, potatoes and carrots was bubbling away in the crockpot, I decided to "test" out a recipe. The hubby, Lauren and Dominic were all kind of hanging around the kitchen, so when these scones were done and I had put the glaze on, I asked if anyone wanted to try a small "sample" before dinner. Yes, I sometimes let the "kids" have something sweet before dinner :)   Lauren, Dominic and I split a scone three ways. Lauren gave it a "thumbs up," so I knew she liked it. When I turned my back for just a moment, Dominic had snitched the last crumb off the plate, so I knew he liked it. The hubby said, "isn't a scone a breakfast item?!?!?!"  My response back, "yes, but we like scones anytime of the day!" LOL. I tucked a scone into the lunch I was making this morning for my husband, so he could eat it when he got to work.  About six months ago, my hubby told me that scones were not one of his favorite "bakery" items. Hmm, I always thought he liked them! Anyways, I was curious how he liked the scone he ate for breakfast. He just sent me an e-mail a few minutes ago telling me, "actually, I like this scone a lot!" Awesome, maybe I've "converted" him to liking scones :)

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups white flour
1/3 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
1 cup blueberries, rinsed and patted dry

Powdered Sugar Glaze

3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In large bowl, put the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. "Cut" in the butter with two knives until well combined. Add the sour cream, egg, vanilla extract and milk. Using a large spoon, mix together until a dough begins to form. Gently "fold" in the blueberries. On a lightly floured surface, press into a circle that is about 10 inches in diameter. Slice into eight equal pieces.  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 15-17 minutes or until the bottoms of the scones are just starting to turn brown. Remove from oven and let sit on the cookie sheet about five minutes before removing the scones to a wire rack to continue to cool. In small bowl, put the powdered sugar and water for the glaze. Mix thoroughly with small spoon until smooth. Drizzle the glaze over each scone. Note: this glaze makes a bit more than you probably need for the eight scones. That just means you need to make eight more scones! Store at room temperature in a covered container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...