Friday, June 12, 2015

Lazy Lady Chocolate Cake


When I first came across this recipe in my mother-in-law's vast "collection," I have to admit I was more than a little intrigued. How could I not be, just based on the name?!?!?!?! It's definitely an "unusual" name for a chocolate cake, isn't it? As I read through this recipe to make sure I had all the ingredients, I was trying to figure out why the word "lazy" would be in the title. Well, for starters, you don't need a bowl to mix all the ingredients, you prepare it all in the pan you will be using to bake it in. Okay, well that's one thing that makes this cake easier, one less dish to wash! I was thinking there had to be something else that made this cake, well, "unique." As I read to the end of the recipe, I discovered the other reason.  After you pull the cake out of the oven, while it is still piping hot, you put three Hershey's Milk Chocolate bars right on top. No need to make frosting!  I had visions of the bars melting so much that it would end up being a big chocolate puddle on top. Well, guess what? That didn't happen! Whew. This cake is totally scrumptious and I didn't feel like a "lazy" lady at all making it :)

Ingredients

3 cups white flour
2 cups white sugar
5 tablespoons baking cocoa
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups cold water

Topping

Three 1.55 ounces Hershey's
   Milk Chocolate bars
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In an ungreased 9 x 13-inch baking pan, put the flour, sugar, baking cocoa, baking soda and salt. Mix well with a fork. Make three "wells" in the dry mixture - one large, one medium and one small.  In the largest "well," put the canola oil, in the medium "well," put the vinegar and in the smallest "well," put the vanilla extract. Pour cold water over entire mixture and combine well with fork. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and put pan on a wire rack. Immediately place the three milk chocolate bars right on top of the cake. In five minutes or less, the chocolate bars will begin to melt. As they do, spread the chocolate evenly across the cake with a knife. When cool enough to eat and the topping has hardened up just a bit, dig in! Store covered at room temperature. Serves 12-16.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...