Sunday, July 12, 2015

Cinnamon Cake

 
 
Buried in my collection of over 110 cookbooks, I found a Pennsylvania Dutch Cookbook from 1960.  There are some pretty "unique" recipes such as shoo-fly pie, pretzel soup, rabbit cake and boy's legs. Boy's legs? Don't worry - they are potato and beef filled pastries. Anyways, being the cinnamon "gal" that I am, when I found a recipe for cinnamon cake, I knew that was definitely one to try! I always love the way our house smells when I'm baking anything with cinnamon - it smells so good! Both Lauren and Dominic were around when I frosted this cake last night, so they both got a "sample." Of course they loved it! Why won't they?!?!? They "inherited" their love of cinnamon from me!
 
Ingredients
 
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9-inch round pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar until smooth by hand or with electric mixer. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, eggs and milk. Combine well until smooth. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack. Below is my recipe for cinnamon cream cheese frosting which is what I used on top of the cake. If you still want even MORE cinnamon, sprinkle a little on top!  Store cake covered in fridge. Serves eight.
 
Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
 
2 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...