Sunday, August 16, 2015

Yellow Corn Bread


The hubby made some really delicious barbeque chicken on the grill last night. Since I really have no clue how to use our grill, I am usually put in charge of the "side" dishes. We had fresh broccoli that I knew I would steam for the "veggie," and I planned on making buttered noodles for the "starch." I didn't have a bread "item" though. Biscuits didn't seem like quite the right thing to make, so I looked through an old Amish-Dutch cookbook and found a great recipe for corn bread! When we have corn bread around here, I usually just open up two boxes of Jiffy corn muffin mix, add the milk and eggs and make a dozen muffins. It took just a few extra minutes to make this corn bread from "scratch," but wow, was it ever worth it!

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups yellow corn meal
1/2 cup white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoon white sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups milk
2 large eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons melted shortening

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, put all the ingredients in the order given. Combine well with large spoon and pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Remove from oven and put on wire rack to cool slightly. Cut into squares. Cover with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...