Thursday, November 5, 2015

Swedish Tea Rolls


I have just as much passion now for baking as I did when I was little and used to whip up desserts for my dad in my Easy-Bake Oven. I still haven't figured out how a light bulb did all the work, but maybe that is a mystery I'll never solve. What's cool about my relationship with my dad now, (besides becoming incredibly close), is that since my mom is in a skilled nursing facility, when I fly back by myself, I get to bake again for him!  My dad is very diplomatic and even though I slightly burned the bottom of the meatloaf  I made for him last month, he still told me it was good :) Anyways, I don't know of any Swedish in my background, but when I found a recipe from 1933 AND it used cinnamon and sugar, my "radar," went up!!  Oh my goodness, these are so crispy since I used shortening! I will be seeing my dad over the upcoming holidays and I know I'm going to make him these. I wonder what he would say if I told him the recipe was just a few years older than him? LOL.







Ingredients

1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
2 cups white flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
2/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In small bowl, put the white sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Stir with small spoon until well combined and set aside. In a large bowl, put the flour, baking powder and salt. With two knives, "cut" in the shortening. Pour the milk in and with a large spoon, mix until the dough is just starting to form a soft ball. Place on a slightly floured board and knead about 30 times. Roll out to approximately 12 inches in length and six inches in width. Cut into 10 equal-sized squares. Fold each square in half and press gently. Dip each roll into the ingredients in the small bowl and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the bottom of the rolls are just starting to turn slightly brown. Remove from oven and let cool for five minutes before removing to wire rack to continue cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Club Cracker Toffee

You know when you have a "taste" for something and until you eat it, you won't be satisfied? Late yesterday afternoon, I want...